Outdoor Art Market, Success

Well, our first Outdoor Art Market hosting other artists is under our belt! We filled four of our ten slots and got to make some new artist friends and collectors! The campus property looked great, especially just after that bad freezing weather we had. Not to mention that the eastern half of the front fence had been blown down by Life Flight landing at our driveway the week before. But getting it to that point so people could admire it rather than see piles of the brush was quite a lot of work. By the time the market started, we were exhausted!  

These outdoor markets are a lot of work for both the host and the participating artists. It was so interesting to see how everyone set up and tried to make their space look inviting. They each did an outstanding job! We are happy to say that we all made some money, though none got rich over the weekend! 

Preparation for our Outdoor Market

In preparation, we set up the basis for our newest fountain, which I am just loving. We still have a lot of work to do to complete this project. We need to dig the hole for the “hidden” reservoir, put in the electrical line, drill the glass bowls, fabricate an extension to make the top bowl a little higher, and plumb the entire thing. But I am so excited about it and hope to get it completed soon. (That’s quite a relative term.)

I also made chimes out of some gold topaz/amethyst cane globes, and they look and sound great hanging in the trees leading to the fountain (gold topaz /green cane). I finished the prototype for my newest mixed media series, “Tendrils.” So, all in all, having the Outdoor Art Market made me get a lot of things accomplished.  

Michael worked on cleaning out the fabrication studio so that we could work again in there. Of course, he accuses us all of bringing stuff back there and not putting it up, but if you saw his home workspace, you would know that is only a partial truth! Michael also surrounded one of the HVAC units next to the gallery to conceal it and dampen the sound. He pulled out the once live shrubs on the other side of the gallery entrance, which we had planned to move, and we put in gravel, making a small sculptural space.

The Day of our 1st Outdoor Market

Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, even more so on Saturday when the weather was better. Sunday was slow, and even though the weatherman said it wasn’t going to rain after 11 am we still got some afternoon sprinkles and slight breezes that kept people away. The artists started packing up, and a group of friends and collectors showed up for the remaining artist. Sometimes it pays to stick around even when times aren’t great!

During the day, I took several small groups on campus tours and did one demo that no one will ever forget! I put some contour pattern bars into my firebox kiln next to my warm glass studio in the covered area. I got those hot and then combed (raked) them in front of one group. Those folks moved on, and when the glass smoothed, another group came up and wanted to see me move the tile from the small firebox into my larger kiln.

Well, Michael was there to help me, and evidently, I didn’t go over how the little kiln opened so that I could scoop the glass onto my spatula and move it inside. When he opened the lid, he pulled the entire top 3/4 of the kiln up and then dropped it onto the concrete floor. Everyone jumped back; I screamed some explicative #@!!# and then scooped up the piece and put it inside. I told the folks we always like to add a little drama to the demos to make them memorable!

I hope that’s not all they remember!

Until next time,
Stay Safe and Have Fun

Enriching lives through artistic self-expression.

Leave a Reply